Spring Internship (January – May 2019)- Intern will receive a weekly $30 travel stipend.
Lyric Unlimited, a division of Lyric Opera of Chicago, offers an array of innovative education, community engagement and artistic programs, encompassing company activities beyond Lyric's mainstage. Established in 2012, Lyric Unlimited aims to:
- Deepen and broaden relationships throughout the city through collaborative programs such as EmpowerYouth!, Caminos a la ópera, and Chicago Voices
- Introduce and grow adult audiences for opera
- Create access to opera for teachers and students through Elementary and High School Residencies, Opera in the Neighborhoods, Backstage Tours and Performances for Students
- Welcome families to opera through performances and special events
- Support Youth development through opera education in programs such as Youth Opera Council and Vocal Partnership Program
- Commission and present new, small scale operatic works, including this season's An American Dream.
More than 100,000 people experience Lyric Unlimited programming each season.
EmpowerYouth!: Igniting Creativity through the Arts is a groundbreaking partnership between the Lyric Opera and the Chicago Urban League that immerses high school students in an exploration of storytelling, acting, dance and singing leading to a culminating performance.
Drawn primarily from Chicago’s South and West side communities, students meet weekly after school to collaborate with professional artists, including composer/songwriter Paris Ray Dozier, librettist/scriptwriter Derek McPhatter, acting coach and director Tony Santiago, movement coach and choreographer Tanji Harper, MC Add-2, and music supervisor Kedrick Armstrong on the creation of an original performance that tells their stories as young people in Chicago.
Lyric Unlimited is seeking an intern to assist with the documentation, coordination, and reporting of the EmpowerYouth! program. This intern will specifically be responsible for:
- Attending weekly EmpowerYouth! meetings, held at the Chicago Urban League office and offering on-site support to facilitators and teaching artists as requested.
- Assisting with production of artistic elements associated with the EmpowerYouth! project:
- Working with the EmpowerYouth! artistic team to accurately track changes to the storyline/script
- Documenting and reporting developments and adjustments to music and any other relevant elements leading towards the final performance.
- Facilitating requests for supplies, transportation, ticket purchases, and other program needs.
- Assisting with administrative duties associated with the EmpowerYouth! program, including reporting on the status of ongoing projects, participating in team meetings, and procuring items necessary for the project.
- Maintain communication between Lyric staff and EmpowerYouth! project staff
- Additional assignments, some of which may relate to other Lyric Unlimited programs, as needed.
Candidates for this position will be expected to work at least 10hr/week, including the following commitments:
- Weekly EmpowerYouth! sessions: Wednesdays, 5 pm – 9 pm (December – May) at the Chicago Urban League Headquarters (4510 S. Michigan Ave.) -- including assistance with preparation and set-up from 5 to 5:30, and participation in team debriefs from 8:30 to 9.m.
- Weekly Administrative Team Meetings: Fridays at 12pm (Remote)
- At least 4 hours of in-office time at the Lyric Opera (20 N. Wacker)
- Rehearsal dates and final performance (May 15- 18, tentative)
- Interest in working with high school aged youth
- Background in theater, scriptwriting, acting, or other dramatic areas
- Ability to complete 10hr/week, including attending weekly EmpowerYouth! meetings
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience with managing projects and/or teams
- Ability to work independently as well as with teams
- Reliable transportation/ability to get to required locations
- Current enrollment in a Master’s degree program in arts management or in an arts discipline, highly desirable
To Apply: Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org denoting position of interest.