Call for Studio Artist 2018
Ends on October 19, 2018
Call for STUDIO ARTIST at VisArts!
Accepting applications from individual artists or collaborative artist teams.
Deadline: Friday, October 26, 2018 at midnight EST
252 square foot studio, natural light, sink, WiFi, 24 hour access
Lease period: November 9 , 2018 - November 8, 2019
Notification to selected artists: Friday, November 2, 2018
VisArts invites applications from working artists in the Washington, D.C. metro area to join our community of artists as a Studio Artist. Currently we have a 252 sq. ft. studio at VisArts available to rent for one year with the option to renew each year for up to five years of studio occupancy. The rent is $486/month. Artists may share the studio, but both artists must be accepted into the program. If applying as a collaborative artist team, one person or an LLC entity representative, must be responsible for fulfilling the terms of the lease and creating the application.
The selected artist/s will participate in the VisArts Studio Artist Program as a Studio Artist.
The VisArts Studio Artist Program is comprised of the following:
· Studio Artist (partially subsidized studio at reasonable cost with renewal option up to five years, group exhibition)
· Studio Fellowship (fully subsidized studio and monthly stipend for six months, solo exhibition of fellowship project)
· Bresler Resident Artist (fully subsidized studio for four months, solo exhibition of residency project).
· Next Generation/Sanctuary Studio Fellowship (fully subsidized studio, monthly stipend for one year, mentorship, solo exhibition)
The VisArts Studio Artist Program provides a variety of studio options for dynamic individual artists or collaborative artist teams to experiment, create new work, evolve an existing body of work, or develop a project in a stimulating, supportive environment. The program includes opportunities for exhibition, dialogue, professional development, teaching, and community engagement. Artists meet monthly. Open studios are held at each exhibition reception.
Engagement can take the form of public artist talks, workshops, screenings, community or socially-engaged art projects, open studio events, public lectures, teaching, or other mutually agreed upon events. The foundation of our artist community is one of generosity, respect, creative excellence, and inclusion.
The artist is selected by the VisArts Artist Advisory Board, a group of arts professionals. Criteria for selection include artistic merit, proposal for studio intent and engagement, and complete application.
VisArts is an independent non-profit art center located in the heart of Rockville Town Square, a thriving gathering place for the local community. VisArts presents exhibitions of contemporary emerging and established artists in four galleries. The center hosts an Emerging Curator Program, a Studio Artist Program, and an Art Education Program making it an active and important presence in the greater metropolitan arts community.
Rockville is a progressive, diverse city in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. It ranks nationally and state-wide as a leader in environmental sustainability and green power use. Rockville is recognized for its high quality of life, excellent schools, numerous public parks, well-educated, and culturally diverse population. Local resources include: Rockville Library, Montgomery College Rockville campus and other local schools, historical sites, Rock Creek Park, the Potomac River watershed, and Rockville’s diverse community. Rockville offers easy access to public transit to Washington, D.C. via the Red Line Metro, an excellent bus system, bike trails, and parking.
The Studio Artist program does not provide housing for artists.
Terms of Residency:
- Qualified applicants are professional individual artists or collaborative artist teams over the age of 18; the program is not designed for undergraduate students or commercial artists.
- Artists working in all media are welcome to apply, but VisArts cannot support the use of hazardous materials that require specific ventilation requirements.
- The studio may be used only for art-making activities. There are opportunities to teach visual arts at VisArts through the Education Department or Inside Art program.
- VisArts Studio Artists will be provided with a studio for a period of one year with the option to renew each year up to five years of studio occupancy. Each studio is equipped with a sink, Wi-Fi connection, and abundant natural light. Studio access is 24/7 except during special VisArts events (advance notice will be given). The artist must provide his/her own studio furniture.
- VisArts Studio Artists are responsible for maintaining the studio in a safe and reasonably tidy manner, and will not make alterations to the space without permission. Artists must leave the studio in the state in which it was found and remove all belongings at the end of the fellowship.
- VisArts Studio Artists are responsible for acquisition, insurance, and care of his/her materials and equipment. Artists who wish to have kilns and other equipment that create additional electrical use must obtain permission for each piece of equipment that they wish to use in their studios.
- The studio lease is for one year with the option to renew each year up to a total of five years of studio occupancy. Renewal is based on a brief review with artists each year.
- Available studio:
One 252 square foot artist studios with large windows. Monthly rent: $486.00
VisArts Studio Artists will participate in the following:
- Maintain a fully engaged studio practice at VisArts.
- VisArts Studio Artists are expected to participate in the VisArts Studio Artist Program that meets monthly to share food, ideas, community, and professional development.
- Welcome the public during Open Studio events held during exhibition opening receptions.
- Attend artist talks and gallery opening receptions.
- Present an artist talk, workshop, screening, and/or other mutually agreed upon public event that engages the VisArts and greater Rockville communities and resources.
- Participate in an annual Studio Artist group exhibition of work created independently or collaboratively during the term of residency.
Application and Selection Process
Required materials include:
- Images: Submit 10 images of work produced during the last four years. Work samples can be a combination of high resolution jpgs and time-based media (*up to 10 minutes total). *For collaborative teams, 10 images of collaborative work are required as well as a statement of the collaborative nature of the work. *Two minutes of video, film, sound or performance documentation = one work. Artists may choose to include links to Vimeo or You Tube public accounts for time-based work samples.
- Image Requirements: You may submit up to 10 images. They must be in .jpg, .tiff, .png, or .gif file format. Minimum image resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Maximum file size 5MB per image. Files must be labeled in the following way: first name last name-title of artwork-1.ext, first name last name-title of artwork-2.ext, etc. The file number corresponds with the number on the list of works. (Ex. John Doe-Untitled-1.jpg)
- List of Works Form- Numbered list of artworks with the following information: artist name, title of artwork, year, dimensions, a description of artwork is optional.
- Artist Bio (200 word max.)- Third-person paragraph highlighting your professional achievements.
- Artist Statement (200 words max.)
- References- Provide contact information for two references who can address your work as an artist.
- Studio Proposal: Briefly and clearly describe your goals for being a Studio Artist at VisArts and how you might engage with the community, or use community resources. You may include a drawing or representative images to help describe your specific proposal. (500 words max.)
- Please indicate if you are interested in sharing the studio and splitting the monthly rent:
____Yes, I will share with another selected artist.
____ No, I would like solo use of the studio.
- $15 application fee
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of artists and arts professionals.
Transforming individuals and communities through the visual arts.
From our beginning in 1987 as Rockville Arts Place operating in a converted garage to our current contemporary, state of the art facility in Rockville Town Square, VisArts has served local residents, students, art lovers, professional artists and others with an interest in the arts. Each year, VisArts welcomes more than 25,000 visitors through our doors to participate in art education classes and camp programs, attend events in our Buchanan Room, visit one of our four galleries or engage with artists in their studios.